9 Tips For Staying Healthy This Cold and Flu Season
First, Here are 6 Simple Things YOU Can Do to Stay Well
Did you know being prepared for Colds and Flu is the key to staying healthy this season? There are many things you can do to help you stay healthy this season and to minimize your suffering if you do get sick. The secret to success is following the simple advice below BEFORE the cold and flu season is in high swing! 1. Get your sleep! Studies show that sleep is more important than any other factor in staying well - even when directly exposed to a virus. There isn't a vitamin or an herb that is more powerful than good quality sleep. If you've tried everything, but you can't get more than 6 hours of sleep a night, schedule a consultation with your favorite health care provider. Sleep is really the key to health. Make it a priority.
2. Manage your stress well! High levels of negative stress damage our immune systems in addition to raising your blood pressure and hurting your digestion. When I treat patients for stress, I often include various modalities together, including Acupuncture, Chinese Herbs, and Western Nutritional Supplements. If you lower your stress levels, everything in your life will benefit - not just your immune system! Visit the Stress Blog on this website to learn more tips on beating stress!
3. Get some exercise! A daily 20 minute walk, regularly hitting the gym, or weekend golfing can be enough to increase your immunity and keep you from getting sick. Take it easy though - over-training your body actually lowers your immunity.
4. Keep a clean work area! Sanitizing your keyboard, desk, and water bottle daily are easy ways to prevent getting sick. It's worth it to take a few minutes to clean up at the end of the day if it prevents being sick for a week!
5. Wash your hands often! Good hand washing is a cornerstone to good health! The CDC says to wash your hands before, during, and after eating or handling food, before and after caring for someone who is sick, before and after coming in contact with a wound, using the bathroom or changing diapers, or touching animals. Check out their website for more information and resources.
6. Eat Healthy! A varied diet of fruits and vegetables helps to ensure you are getting enough nutrients to build and maintain a healthy immune system. I recommend eating a balanced diet all year long, but especially do your best to eat cleanly during cold and flu season. If you would like specific recommendations for your body and specific concerns, please schedule a FREE consultation!
Next, 3 Ways I Can Help You Stay Healthy or Help You Feel Better ASAP if You Do Get Sick
1. Schedule an Acupuncture Appointment! Research shows Acupuncture can enhance your immune system, making it better at fighting off cold and flu viruses so you never get sick in the first place. But, if you're already starting to get sick, Acupuncture and bodywork techniques like Cupping can still help by reducing the over all intensity of the illness and symptoms and speeding recovery. Moreover, Acupuncture is effective for treating those lingering symptoms following an illness, like the cough that just won't go away, or being really tired all the time.
2. Schedule a FREE Chinese Herbal Consultation! There are Chinese Formulas that help with most concerns related to a cold or flu. If you are concerned about your overall immunity, there are formulas to help make you stronger. If you are starting to get sick, there are formulas to kill those germs and stop the infection before it starts. Lastly, there are formulas that treat your worst symptoms like headaches, body aches, fever, and congestion so you feel better sooner if you do get sick. I carry my throat spray everywhere I go and use it at the first tickle or after I treat a sick patient!
3. Get a FREE Supplement Consultation! I have found some amazing supplements that can boost your immunity and overall health. Specifically, I often recommend a varienty of supplements including Vitamin D3, Probiotics, and Vitamin C. At your consultation, we can figure out what supplements would best meet your needs together, so you don't have to figure it out on the fly at the grocery store!
NOTE: DO NOT TAKE B COMPLEX VITAMINS OR MULTIVITAMINS IF YOU HAVE COLD OR FLU SYMPTOMS!
There are many things people can do to take control over their health. Making small changes like getting more sleep, washing your hands more often, getting regular acupuncture, or taking vitamins can make a big difference in your health this cold and flu season. I think it would be great if everyone could use their "sick" days for making fun memories with their friends and family instead of laying in bed feeling miserable! When the basics of staying well are this easy, I definitely think it's possible to spend less time feeling bad and more time feeling great this flu season!